Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. It is our priviledge and pleasure to share information with about our church. worship times are SUNDAYS @ 10am.
Our Sermons will be available online. Coming soon.
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org for prayer requests and donations!
First Baptist stands as one of the oldest and progressive Churches in the West Tampa Community. Organized May 31, 1910, under the leadership of Rev. Babadus King, the church was originally named "Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church." Located near the present day North Boulevard Homes, the first edifice was situated between Chestnut & Delaware Streets. In 1918, the name was officially changed to First Missionary Baptist Church of West Tampa.
In 1927, with the election of Rev. J.B. Lake as the seventh pastor, First Missionary Baptist Church of West Tampa was united with Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church (formerly located on Highland Avenue in West Tampa where Rev. Lake served as Pastor). The union of the two churches and continued membership growth created the need for a new and larger edifice. To accommodate this need, property was acquired at the corner of LaSalle Street and Willow Avenue (1302 West LaSalle Street) to construct new facilities. The new edifice was completed in 1939. Rev. Lake remained as Pastor of First Missionary Baptist Church of West Tampa until his death in July of 1945. In addition, the oldest Black troop of the Boy Scouts of America in Tampa (Troop # 98) was started at First Missionary Baptist Church of West Tampa during the 1940's.
ADD MORE ORIGIN TEXT
In May of 2006, the legacy was extended to a new generation and lifted to new heights with the election of the seventeenth and current Pastor of First Baptist Church of West Tampa; the Rev. Rayford Harper. Through Pastor Harper's dynamic preaching, teaching, visionary leadership, and youthful energy, First Baptist continues to be a "chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, and a peculiar people who have been called out of darkness, into God's marvelous light."